You take a sip of a nice cold glass of water and POW - the pain from a sensitive tooth rattles your nerves! If you are one of the many people who avoid hot or cold food or beverages, it is time to find some relief!
You are not alone! Approximately 40 million adults in the US experience tooth sensitivity as well. What causes tooth sensitivity?
According to the American Dental Association, the layer of enamel protecting your teeth can become compromised. "In healthy teeth, a layer of enamel protects the crowns of your teeth—the part above the gum line. Under the gum line a layer called cementum protects the tooth root. Underneath both the enamel and the cementum is dentin.
Dentin is less dense than enamel and cementum and contains microscopic tubules (small hollow tubes or canals). When dentin loses its protective covering of enamel or cementum these tubules allow heat and cold or acidic or sticky foods to reach the nerves and cells inside the tooth. Dentin may also be exposed when gums recede. The result can be hypersensitivity."
Colgate.com shares the following causes of sensitive teeth:
· Worn tooth enamel from using a hard toothbrush and using a hard grip while brushing aggressively.
· Tooth erosion due to highly acidic foods and beverages.
· Tooth decay, worn leaky fillings and broken teeth that expose the dentin of your tooth.
· Gum recession that leaves your root surface exposed.
· Grinding your teeth at night.
· Post dental treatment sensitivity – common, but temporary, especially with procedures such as crowns, fillings and tooth bleaching.
We have a fantastic product in our office that has helped many patients find relief from sensitive teeth.
Our recommended toothpaste is Clinpro 5000. Be sure to pick some up if you struggling with sensitivity in any form. We can help you troubleshoot your problems, and if there are no underlying conditions such as decay, this toothpaste could be the answer you've been search for!
Call or drop by today to pick up some Clinpro toothpaste.
You don't need to suffer from sensitivity! 541-451-1440