- Choose nutrient-rich, whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products. Treat your snacks like a mini-meal and choose items that you know will give you the nutrients you need.
- Plan snacks ahead of time. Keep a variety of nutritious ready-to-eat supplies on hand, such as whole-grain crackers, low-fat cheese and nuts.
- Instead of a sugary breakfast cereal or a starchy bagel, choose fruit, yogurt or a cup of oatmeal for your portable morning meal.
- Crisp fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots and celery not only help stimulate saliva flow, which helps clean plaque and food particles from teeth, but they are full of vitamins and minerals.
- Cheese and yogurt are easy, portable snacks that supply calcium and other vitamins and minerals for strong teeth.
- If you drink fruit juice, you should use a straw to keep it from having as much contact with your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste immediately after finishing your snack.
Take a few minutes today to choose one snack option that will boost your energy and oral health. Your smile and your body will thank you for years to come!
Call us to receive 10% off of your next dental appointment.